Saturday, January 26, 2008

"Politicians are like diapers."

"They should be changed frequently, and for the same reasons."

I can afford two posts today. This is due to the fact that I'm currently at a location where the connection is virtually free, and the access isn't restricted by workload that is under a tight deadline.

Anyhow, the quote above is from this movie that had Robin Williams play a comedian named Tom Dobb - a comedian that ran for the position of president of the United States of America.

As you can obviously tell by now, the movie struck a chord with me. Maybe, because of its similarities with Stephen Colbert's satirical campaign, and my devious wishes that it was something a little more than a lampooning.

However, in retrospect, I think the fascination on my part is mostly due to the ability of William's character, Tom Dobb, to walk away from something without fear. Sure of himself and his detour, as long as his previous direction went against things, concepts, and values he held dear.

He said it all so concisely and more effectively in a different scene in the movie. Unfortunately, I can't quite quote it exactly at the moment. The verbage elludes me. So pardon me for my pathetic attempt at paraphrasing it.

He said, in essence, that jokes loose their meaning if you run fake laughter over it.

Upon hearing that from him, I sat, I thought, I drank my glass of water, and I smiled. Now that's entertainment.

No comments: